Peparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
For the crab cakes
2cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, peeled
2 red chillies, seeds removed
250g/9oz white crabmeat
1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 free-range eggs
7-8 tbsp breadcrumbs
plain flour, for dusting
25ml/1fl oz olive oil
sweet chilli jam
few handfuls salad leaves
olive oil, for drizzling
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Use a small food processor to finely chop ginger and chilli.
- In a bowl, mix the chopped chilli and ginger with white crabmeat, coriander, and spring onions. Add one egg and mix well. Then, add 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and mix again.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions and shape them into patties. Put the patties on a tray and let them chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (or 160°C for fan ovens, Gas Mark 4).
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg with a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash. Put some plain flour and the rest of the breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes.
- Coat a crab cake in flour, then dip it in the egg wash and cover it with breadcrumbs. Gently shake to remove extra breadcrumbs. Do this for all the crab cakes.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and cook the crab cakes for 2-3 minutes on each side until they’re crispy and golden brown. Move the crab cakes to a baking tray.
- Bake the crab cakes in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes to make sure they’re heated through.
- Serve the crab cakes with sweet chilli jam and a salad of mixed leaves.
Drizzle the salad with olive oil and add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.