less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
For the crab cakes
- 250g/9oz white crabmeat
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 free-range eggs
- 7-8 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Place the ginger and chilli into a mini food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- In a bowl combine the chilli and ginger with the white crabmeat, coriander and spring onions. Crack in one egg and mix well, then stir in 4 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs.
- Divide the crab cake mixture into 6 equal portions and mould into patties. Place on a tray and chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
- Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl with one tablespoon of water to make an eggwash. Place some plain flour and the remaining breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes.
- Dredge a crab cake in the flour, then dip into the egg and coat in the breadcrumbs. Shake gently to remove any excess breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining crab cakes.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the crab cakes for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden-brown all over. Transfer the crab cakes to a baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until piping hot all the way through.
- Serve the crab cakes with sweet chilli jam and a mixed leaf salad, lightly dressed with olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper.