Crab-Stuffed Fillet with Whisky Peppercorn Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced spring onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons prawn stock or water
- 1 (170g) tin crab meat, drained
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 30ml whisky
- 250ml double cream
- 4 (170g) fillet steaks
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cooked lightly
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 100g crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 30ml whisky
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Make Crab Stuffing: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan. Saute onion, spring onion, garlic, celery and green pepper until tender. Stir in prawn stock or water, crab meat, breadcrumbs and Cajun seasoning. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Prepare Peppercorn Sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine beef stock and cracked black pepper. Simmer until reduced to 250ml, stirring frequently. Add 30ml whisky and 250ml cream. Continue simmering until reduced to 250ml. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Prepare Steaks: Slice a pocket into the side of each steak, and stuff generously with crab stuffing. Wrap bacon around side, and secure with skewers. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron frying pan over medium heat. Saute garlic and shallot for 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms, and saute until tender. Remove mushroom mixture, and set aside.
- Place steaks in frying pan, and cook to desired doneness. Remove from frying pan, and keep warm. Deglaze frying pan with 30ml whisky. Reduce heat, and stir in peppercorn sauce and Dijon mustard. Add mushroom mixture, and reduce sauce until thickened. Remove skewers and bacon from steaks, and arrange steaks on a plate. Top with sauce.